Alberta Emergency Services Medal
Inaugural Presentation of the Alberta Emergency Services Medal
Alberta Legislature Building - May 15, 2003
MEDAL AND CERTIFICATE
The Alberta Emergency Services Medal (AESM) is a 3.5 cm diameter polished nickel disk with a clasp mounted on top. The inverse side of the medal has an Alberta Wild Rose circumscribed with the words 'In Service Of Albertans'. On the obverse side of the medal is the Alberta Shield circumscribed with the words 'Emergency Services Alberta'. The medal is suspended by a 3.5 cm wide blue ribbon with three thin white stripes. The blue colour represents the Province of Alberta and the white for good service, loyalty and conduct.
The certificate does not reflect the total years of service the recipient may have within their qualifying emergency services discipline. It is awarded based on twelve years service and this is reflected on the certificate.
QUALIFYING SERVICE - EMERGENCY SERVICES
- members of the emergency services established by an Alberta municipality under the provisions of the Alberta Municipal Government Act (i.e., firefighters, officers and dispatchers of the full-time, part-time or volunteer fire services or search and rescue volunteers);
- Alberta Emergency Management Agency personnel
- Directors or deputy directors of emergency management appointed by municipalities under the Emergency Management Act;
- Emergency Medical Services (EMS) paramedicine practioners licensed under the Health Professions Act - Paramedic Regulation, (i.e. licensed emergency medical responders, emergency medicatTechnicians, emergency medical technologists--paramedic);
- Emergency medical dispatchers certified through the National Academy of Emergency Medical Dispatch; or
- Sustainable Resource Development personnel (Fire Protection & Emergency Response).
To be eligible for the medal, personnel must have been serving on or after January 1, 2000, in a sector of the Alberta emergency management system.
Personnel must have undertaken all required phases of training and duty prescribed by their respective municipalities and ministries, and must be certified by their administrative authority as efficient and in every way deserving of the award.
Nomination for a candidate for the AESM must be based on a total of at least twelve years of service with one or more municipal, provincial or federal emergency services in the province of Alberta. Notification of eligibility, plus verification, must be made by the endorsed administrator of the organization.
Nominations must be submitted on the Alberta Emergency Services Medal Nomination Form supplied by the Office of the Fire Commissioner. Three weeks' notice is required for participation by the Fire Commissioner or his staff.
The AESM and certificate will be mailed to the nominating authority unless otherwise requested. The planning of a presentation ceremony is the responsibility of that authority.
Download or view the Alberta Emergency Services Medal Nomination Form
Office of the Fire Commissioner 780-644-2127
(toll-free 310-0000, then 780-644-2127)